Friday, September 25, 2009

National Punctuation Day

Dang! I missed National Punctuation Day. I can't believe it. I did spend most of yesterday's work day re-writing a website and using my copy-editor skills, so maybe that makes up for it a bit, but I'm still sad I didn't get to celebrate.

I love how dorky the NPD website is. Just straight up, in-your-face dorky. There's a man wearing a cape and an exclamation point on his t-shirt holding a cake shaped like a question mark. Can you imagine anything more dorky?

Of course, I mean "dorky" with the utmost respect. Just like I like following the rules of spelling, I love knowing the grammar rules and following them (mostly). I remove unnecessary gerunds that can be replaced with active verbs. I know the difference between insure and ensure. My office mate was shocked (and I was surprised) when I didn't immediately know whether she should use "hardy" or "hearty" for an email she was writing (turns out either would have been fine).



I found out about NPD from The Bride's Guide, a Martha Stewart wedding blog. I've fallen way behind in my blog reading because I've been so busy at work and after work. Since blogs are such a part of how I've been researching and visualizing different parts of the wedding, falling behind in my Google reader means falling behind in wedding plans, too. Back to the blogs I go!

3 comments:

  1. Noooo! The grocer's apostrophe, it burns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One a copy editor, always a copy editor. I find typos all over the place! Top of my list of all time blunders is seeing "busses" as the plural for bus. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now, rereading my own post, I see a typo in the FIRST WORD. Yikes, indeed. . . :-/ Can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete