Monday, September 21, 2009

Efficiency and balance

First day of school! Today I started a Master's program in Library and Information Science at Drexel's iSchool. I'll be taking three courses each quarter for the next two years, if all goes according to the current plan.

And yes, I'll still be working at my job, 40 hours a week. Plus each class will apparently take 8-10 hours of work each week - two of the classes include a three-hour weekly meeting on campus, one is all online. Plus countless hours of wedding planning that up to now have been happening at work and after work. Sounds busy, right? Sounds to me like I'm going to be giving up several hours of primetime TV watching. :)

So, the next few months will be my study in efficiency and balance.


(my photo from Vancouver, BC)

How to keep getting all the work done and still play some?

Right now I'm afraid I'm overthinking it, or over-organizing. I already have a work to-do list and a work-only calendar, and I keep a Google calendar with my social plans, exercise opportunities, CSA share pickup dates, and birthday reminders. Adding school schedule to the mix has mixed everything up! Now I bought a new day-organizer to try to keep track of everything in one place. (I know a paper organizer is old-fashioned, but I'm waiting until the iTouch gets a camera - maybe then I'll sync all my paper and computer calendars!)

Maybe being this busy will take my mind off the steady movement toward winter. I love fall days like we had today - cool in the morning, but warm in the afternoon. Bright blue skies and high white clouds. Haven't noticed the leaves starting to change, but I know it's coming. Soon it'll be time for boots and corduroys and soup. For now, back to my lists and organizers.

2 comments:

  1. Organization is a constant challenge for me. I keep a family calendar in the kitchen and a work calendar. They do overlap a bit, but I haven't found an electronic one that works for me yet. Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo. I hope you don't mind that I borrowed it for my blog header. Can you tell me more about who made these? You and Chris?

    ReplyDelete